We are expanding with a new location opening in South Boston soon. Stay tuned for the grand opening date!
We will be open Friday, August 30, 7am – 1pm
and closed Saturday, Sunday, & Monday.
Have a happy, healthy, and safe holiday weekend!
Squeeze back into those jorts and feel good doing it at Nourish Your Soul, West Medford’s juicing joint. Each Wednesday in May they’re donating 10 percent of sales to One Fund Boston, so you can fuel your body while fueling the recovery of marathon victims and heroes.
[Every Wed in May. 17 Playstead Rd., West Medford. @nourishyoursoul. nourishyoursoul.com]
BOSTON/ SOMERVILLE/ BROOKLINE - The West Medford juice shop Nourish Your Soul is now delivering cold-pressed juices, smoothies and “cleanses” within Boston and in the burbs. See here for details. [Official Site]
Why Unprocessed Chocolate is Good for You
Antioxidants: Cacao has more antioxidant flavonoids than any food tested so far, including blueberries, red wine, and black and green teas. In fact, it has up to four times the quantity of antioxidants found in green tea. Health benefits of these antioxidants include:
- Promote cardiovascular health - Help dilate bloods vessels, reduce blood clotting, improve circulation, help regulate heartbeat and blood pressure, lower LDL cholesterol, and reduce the risk of stroke and heart attacks.
- Protect from environmental and metabolic toxins - Help repair and resist damage caused by free radicals, and may reduce risk of certain cancers.
Neurotransmitters: By increasing the levels of specific neurotransmitters in our brains, cacao promotes positive outlook, facilitates rejuvenation and simply helps us feel good.
- Serotonin - Cacao raises the level of serotonin in the brain; thus acts as an anti-depressant, helps reduce PMS symptoms, and promotes a sense of well-being.
- Endorphins - Cacao stimulates the secretion of endorphins, producing a pleasurable sensation similar to the “runner’s high” a jogger feels after running several miles.
- Phenylethylamine - Found in chocolate, phenylethylamine is also created within the brain and released when we are in love. Acts as mild mood elevator and anti-depressant, and helps increase focus and alertness.
- Anandamide - Anandamide is known as the “bliss chemical” because it is released by the brain when we are feeling great. Cacao contains both N-acylethanolamines, believed to temporarily increase the levels of anandamide in the brain, and enzyme inhibitors that slow its breakdown. Promotes relaxation, and helps us feel good longer.
Essential Minerals: Cacao beans are rich in a number of essential minerals, including magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese.
- Magnesium - Cacao seems to be the #1 source of magnesium of any food. Magnesium balances brain chemistry, builds strong bones, and helps regulate heartbeat and blood pressure. Magnesium deficiency, present in 80% of Americans, is linked with PMT, hypertension, heart disease, diabetes and joint problems.
- Sulfur - Cacao is high in the beauty mineral sulfur. Sulfur builds strong nails and hair, promotes beautiful skin, detoxifies the liver, and supports healthy pancreas functioning.
Essential fats: There is a misperception that chocolate is fattening. In truth, the fats in cocoa butter are healthy fats. Cacao contains oleic acid, a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, also found in olive oil, that may raise good cholesterol. Also, substances found in cacao are known to help reduce appetite.
Important note- To fully benefit from chocolate’s wide array of nutrients, eat chocolate that is as close to its natural state as possible. Whole cacao beans and nibs are best. You lose many of the health benefits when you eat commercially produced chocolate.
5. Try and eliminate the foods that are so heavy and hard to digest such as processed dairy, gluten, sugar and processed foods. Eat mostly fresh vegetables, whole grains, fruits, nuts, seeds, seaweeds, and of course drink plenty of good-quality purified or spring water.
- Lemons – They contain high levels of vitamin C and help to cleanse out toxic materials. Add lemon to warm or room temperature water to improve digestion and strengthen the liver. Or grab a detox lemonade.
- Avocado - Packed with fiber and vitamins, avocado aids in detoxification by helping the liver purify any synthetic chemicals in our bodies.
- Peas - High in protein and fiber, peas promote colon health and strengthen blood vessels.
- Cherries - This super fruit is a nutritional powerhouse that’s rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which aid in digestion, reduce inflammation, and help rid the body of free radicals.
- Asparagus - Containing folate and zinc, this spring vegetable provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits that make it one of the best natural artery-cleansing foods.
- Fennel - This green veggie is a natural diuretic that helps remove toxic substances from the body. It also contains heart-friendly potassium to help reduce blood pressure.
- Dandelion greens – bitter green like dandelion detox the kidney and liver. Try it in our grapefruit green.
- Beets – This root vegetable contains flavonoids which improves overall function of the liver. Try it in our beet blend.
nourish your soul was featured in the latest issue of Edible Boston Magazine.
An all-natural juice and smoothie bar. “My favorite is the Detox Lemonade, with maple syrup and cayenne,” Fairchild says. “The owner has a good story to tell—she was plunged unexpectedly into needing to fend for herself—but she has created a great little place, with a really great product.” Click here to read the full article.
Adding juice to your diet is the best way to increase your life force energy. When we juice fruits and vegetables we separate the fiber, leaving the liquid containing live enzymes, chlorophyll, vitamins and minerals. Removing the fiber, allows the nutrients to be released immediately into your cells and bloodstream in a form that is easy to assimilate.Drinking green juice on a regular basis as well as cleansing can have so many amazing affects to your body. Here are a few reasons to consider adding these nutrient rich, power packed drinks into your daily regiment.
- Detoxes the body. You are what you eat. Overtime the foods that you eat, the air that you breathe and the environment that we live in contribute to toxins accumulating in the body. Green juice moves the toxins while giving your body a break from digesting food.
- boosts your immune system
- gives your skin a healthy glow
- promotes a helps weight management/loss
- increases energy
- mental clarityNourish your soul juices and cleanses have it all: delicious tastes plus powerful antioxidants to heal and revitalize you from the inside out!